How To Prepare The Abalone
The abalone is canned, ready to eat with mouth attached. To preserve its tender texture, it is best to use the abalone when just heated through. This can be achieved by using the abalone at the end of cooking, or slowly heated in the can.
To safely heat the abalone in its can follow these steps:
- Leave the can unopened and remove all labels.
- Place the can into a pot of water so that it is fully submerged and is horizontal.
- Bring the water to a gentle simmer and leave submerged for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and wait for the water to cool before carefully lifting the can out of the water with large tongs.
- Open the can once it is cool enough to handle.
- The abalone can be served whole or sliced thinly.